Interaction, Discovery, Exploration, Adaptation Laboratory (IDEA)
Research in the IDEA Lab focuses on developing and applying trustworthy artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques with a focus on high-impact real-world applications. Our real-world application areas provide an opportunity to make a significant difference outside of academia. Current application areas include:
- High-impact weather, as members of the NSF AI Institute for Research on Trustworthy AI in Weather, Climate, and Coastal Oceanography
- Robotics: We are developing novel approaches to autonomously creating robust task-oriented knowledge.
- STEM education: We actively work to improve the teaching of Computer Science and Computational Thinking at all levels of education, including outreach to K-12 through robotics and programming and through the development of Computational Thinking classes for teachers and students in Oklahoma.
- Improving diversity in STEM: McGovern has worked to improve the diversity of CS since she became a CS major. The lab participates actively in STEM outreach events aimed at improving diversity including K-12 events, REU mentoring, and in being a welcoming space to all students.
- Space: We have a long-term interest in applications that will assist a permanent human presence in space.